Third Indira Gandhi Ministry
Indira Gandhi was sworn in as Prime Minister of India for the third time on 14 January 1980.
Indira Gandhi’s cabinet included 6 Agriculturists, 9 Lawyers, 2 Journalists and 1 former Princely state rulers.
Three of Gandhi’s cabinet ministers namely Pranab Mukherjee, R. Venkataraman and Zail Singh later served as Presidents of India.
- Died in office
|Portfolio||Minister||Took office||Left office||Party|
|Prime Minister||Indira Gandhi||14 January 1980||31 October 1984[†]||INC(I)|
|Minister of Finance||R. Venkataraman||14 January 1980||15 January 1982||INC(I)|
|Pranab Mukherjee||15 January 1982||31 October 1984||INC(I)|
|Minister of Home Affairs||Zail Singh||14 January 1980||22 June 1982||INC(I)|
|R. Venkataraman||22 June 1982||2 September 1982||INC(I)|
|Prakash Chandra Sethi||2 September 1982||19 July 1984||INC(I)|
|P. V. Narasimha Rao||19 July 1984||Rajiv Gandhi Ministry||INC(I)|
|Minister of External Affairs||P. V. Narasimha Rao||14 January 1980||14 July 1984||INC(I)|
|Indira Gandhi||14 July 1984||31 October 1984[†]||INC(I)|
|Minister of Defence||Indira Gandhi||14 January 1980||1982||INC(I)|
|Shankarrao Chavan||1984||Rajiv Gandhi Ministry||INC(I)|
|Minister of Railways||Kamalapati Tripathi||14 January 1980||12 November 1980||INC(I)|
|Kedar Pandey||12 November 1980||14 January 1982||INC(I)|
|Prakash Chandra Sethi||15 January 1982||2 September 1982||INC(I)|
|A. B. A. Ghani Khan Choudhury||2 September 1982||Rajiv Gandhi Ministry||INC(I)|
|Minister of Information and Broadcasting||Vasant Sathe||1980||1982||INC(I)|
|H. K. L. Bhagat||February 1983||Rajiv Gandhi Ministry||INC(I)|
|Minister of Agriculture||Rao Birendra Singh||14 January 1980||31 October 1984||INC(I)|
|Minister of Parliamentary Affairs||Bhishma Narain Singh||14 January 1980||29 January 1983||INC(I)|
|Buta Singh||29 January 1983||Rajiv Gandhi Ministry||INC(I)|
Ministers of State
- Shivraj Patil, Ministry of Defence, Ministry of Science and Technology, Ministry of Atomic Energy, Ministry of Electronics, Ministry of Space and Ocean Development.
- Shivraj Patil, Ministry of Commerce (Independent Charge).
- Saroj Khaparde, Ministry of Family Welfare (1980-82)
- S.K. Kamla Kumari, Ministry of Agriculture (1980-83)
- Ram Dulari Sinha, Ministry of Commerce (1980-82), Ministry of Industry, Steel and Mines (1982-84)
- Tanguturi Anjaiah, Ministry of Labour (8 June 1980 – 10 October 1980)